Situated at the altitude of 432 m, Bicaz is surrounded by forested mountains, the highest being The Sima Mountains-1147m, Bâtca Stegea-1316m and Cosmița-1014,5 m.
The access ways to Bicaz city are DN ( National Road) from Piatra Neamț (26km), DN (National Road) 17b and DN (National Road) from Vatra Dornei (131km) and Toplița (112km).,DJ (County Road)115F Bicaz-Izvorul Muntelui.
Bicaz city stretches for 148km square, owning three villages as its components: Izvorul Alb (The White Spring), Potoci and Secu.
The natural conditions of the area favoured the human settlement development, the history of the place dating from an appreciable period till the Paleolithic one. The archeological researches descovered -on the terrace from the confluence of Bicaz with Bistrița – traces of life even from the Stone Age.
At the beginning, Bicaz was a village, mentioned for the firs time in an old document from 12th of August 1611, document saying: „ Bicaz village…set up on the Bisericani Monastery’s estate”. In 1855, Bisericani Monastery obtains an old document of settlement of a commercial borough which was born in the present area of Bicaz and Tașca places.
Bicaz became a royal estate in 1884, this event being legalized through the Order number 1789/9th of June 1884 signed by King Carol The First.
The rural place has emerged from obscurity beginning with 1951, when the building works of the barage for the accumulating lake Izvorul Muntelui (The Mountain Spring) began, lake known as Bicaz Lake. Thousand of men brought in the area by the Communist system, gave rise to the working colony and, then, to the city of Bicaz, which, in its glorious periods, came to about 15.000 of inhabitants.
Here, in 1952, the Cement Factory of Bicaz was put into functioning, factory that assured the cement needed for the barage of Bicaz building. In 1960 the workings for this giant project were finished and the hydro-electric station of Stejaru was put into functioning. During the same year, on 26th of August, Bicaz was declared a city through an order published in the Official Gazette.
In the late 50 years, Bicaz city has developped and even has thriven through the appearance of the cement industry and other factories of various dimensions from diverse economical fields that have contributed directly to the rising of new working activities/jobs in the area.
The barage building on Bistrița river and on the cement factory have come to the stimulating of the place development, thus, nowadays, this urban settlement counts a number of 8200 inhabitants, and, as economics concerns, the population is trained in the cement industry, in the exploitation and primary and secondary processing of wood, building and land tillage, service attendances, as well in the touristic and agro-touristic activity.
Bicaz city is an important touristic landmark through its positioning in a crossroad point of two big valleys, Bistrița Valley and Bicaz Valley, in the immediate approaching of Tarcău Valley.
Arriving in Bicaz, the tourists will be attracted first by Ceahlău Mountain, that „Lord between all the hills that make around it an honourable guard”, as Alecu Russo describes it, then, attracted by Izvorul Muntelui ( the Spring Mountain) accumulating Lake, also named “ the sea between the mountains”, as well by The Bicaz Keys (21 km), The Red Lake (37 km) or Tarcău Valley.
· Surface: 148,9 kms (Within areas: 998,3 ha ; Outside areas: 12397,1 ha)
· Population: 8200
· Village houses: 2719
· Number of residences: 3424
· Education: Gradinite: 3; Scoli: 3; Licee: 1)
· Administrated localities: Secu Village, Izvoru Alb Village (The White Spring Village), Potoci Village
· Bicaz is the only mountain town where the Marine Day is celebrated.
· The spiritual saints of the town are Saint Dumitru and Saint George.